The Abruzzo – the Location for our Italy Photography Workshops from 2020
Pennadomo and the Abruzzo
Italy is an amazing and diverse country. I went on a holiday in the Abruzzo region in April 2019, and completely unplanned, ended up buying a house there! It’s only small, with 2 main rooms (and definitely needs bringing into the 21st century), but makes a great base for holidays and for running photography workshops.
It’ll enable me to run photography workshops in the Abruzzo, but also enable me to get to know other parts of Italy and potentially find other great locations to run workshops from.
I’ll be giving updates via Blogs on this website and updating this page as my plans to develop photography workshops in the area evolve. Hopefully from spring 2020!
The village I’ve bought it in is called Pennadomo in the Abruzzo Region (about half way down the country). It’s very much traditional Italy. The region is mountainous (the Apennine Mountains form a stunning backdrop), charcterised by a traditional rural landscape, dotted with medieval castles on hilltops, villages with narrow winding streets and much more.
As you can see from the images to the right, the village and it’s surrounding places are beautiful. It’s got landscape, history within a traditonal Italian rural setting
Unlike many places in the mediterranean region, it’s not wall to wall sunshine or flat light! It has real seasons, with the mountains producing a changeable climate – perfect for photography!
I’m also currently doing my best to pick up at least some Italian……………..
My House in Pennadomo
‘House’ is possibly an exaggeration but here’s a few images, both inside and out. There’s plenty of work to do in updating it.
- Get rid of the old furniture
- Open it up by taking down the corridor wall
- I may take down the dividing wall between the two rooms but not sure yet………..
- New modern kitchen, bathroom and refurbish the balcony
- Do something about the 1970’s fireplace!
- New floor (it would be nice to keep some of the tile flooring but depends on whether it can be reused after lifting up……
- New furniture (looking at a foldaway bed)
- Some nice local landscape pics on the walls……I guess that’s the one thing I won’t need to buy!
- Get wifi
- Do more reccying of more places
- Learn more Italian so I can do things more easily
- Find somewhere nice for everyone to stay (working on that one!)
- Find the best way for getting there than from Rome Ciampino which is quite a trek!
- Learn a bit more about the geography & history of the area
- Arrange some nice, stormy weather with exciting light for next spring
- Buy a decent table to do the post processing sessions on
More Information – to Follow!
Our Italy Workshops:
- Information and Details to Follow
- Course tailored to your skill level
- All day digital photography tuition from Nigel – available 7 days a week
- All transportation to and between photographic locations
- Comprehensive instruction handouts in digital format
- Tea, coffee & refreshments during studio based tuition sessions
- Loan of photographic accessories if needed
In the meantime, if you like to find out more about our plans, click on the button and we’ll get back to you!